Wednesday, July 14, 2010

serves me right


I think karma gave me a little bag tag last night. It had been a few days since I saw Ashley, and when she got back to her guest house in Kicykiru from gorilla trekking, she was welcomed by a power outage and no water, and none since. This coupled with her stale breakfast hot dog buns, and one of the house cleaners stealing her socks and pillowcase, she was not a happy camper. What really made me laugh hard while we were chatting on the phone was the fact that she could no longer let the stool back up – something had to give. So she made a deposit in the unflushable toilet…and then had to admit to everyone about the mess she made. I was roaring, and she was swearing. Not long after that exchange, I bid her adieu, heading for a hot shower. Turns out, the hot water ran out quickly, and all water dried up just as I got completely covered in soap. You can’t get soap out of your hair with a towel. So I called Ashley back, and made sure she came over in the morning to get a shower, as I knew that the water would be running by then. So, don’t laugh at others misfortunes, even if it’s hilarious.

We arrived in Huye (formerly Butare) this evening, to teach in the ORs and to the nurse anesthetists tomorrow and Friday. The city is home to the National University of Rwanda (the medical school, too) and is a beautiful setting. Friday, Emmy will pick up Ashley and we will all visit some of the memorial sites and another national park. I haven’t taken to many pictures since the four hundred thousand that I took on the weekend, so I’ve thrown in some general pics: The first is typical Kigali residential area, complete with nameless, often unpaved streets, tin roof houses densely packed in wide valleys. The second, and picture of a cloud cresting one of the many rolling hills, when Ash and I were heading to Kivu. The third, a long shutter speed shot out front of my place in Nyamirambo, busy in the dark evening. And the final, what looks to me like a pelican, roosting in the trees near town center. These arseholes coat the street below after a night of sleep. I’m gonna be brief, I let you know how Ashley fairs with the power/water if she doesn’t.



2 comments: