Thursday, July 29, 2010

Orphanage




My heart is heavy thinking about leaving the orphanage tomorrow. I’ve been so fortunate to work at the Gisimba orphanage. My day consists of teaching primary school children in the morning and then working at the orphanage in the afternoon. I shouldn’t really call it working, basically I just hang out with the kids and in the process I have found out what their needs are and have been able to teach them a little English as well. This past week there has been a group from a Christian University in the US who put on a camp for the kids. On Monday, I wasn’t sure if I should be helping with the camp or not. That question was quickly answered when I walked into the cafeteria and realized all the boys had saved me a seat in the back and made sure I got a number to be in their group. My heart swelled knowing that these kids look at me like their sister now, not just a teacher.

I have been touched by many children during my stay but wanted to share a few that I have been particularly close to. First, I would like to introduce Kalim (aka T.I., second picture) who is a child Rob and I decided to sponsor through secondary school in Uganda. When I came home Monday evening with the idea of sponsoring Kalim, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I started to describe Kalim to Rob and the first thing I could say is that he reminds me of my brother, Ronnie (this is when the tears started to flow haha). He is gregarious and everyone at the orphanage loves him, myself included. Kalim has been so giving since I’ve been here, teaching me how to do Rwandese dancing and also helping me with my Kinyarwanda. One day while he was dreading my hair (yes, dreading my hair) he asked me to be his sister and told me that I have quickly become his best friend. He is one of the most loving people I have ever met and I know that he would fit in perfect with both Rob’s and my family. His parents have passed away and the rest of his family in the genocide. I hope that we are able to make a difference in his life as he has made in mine and maybe one day we can bring him to Canada to meet all of you. The boy in the next picture is Eric, who is 10 years old and in primary 1. His mother died of AIDS and his father works the gates of the orphanage with no way to support Eric. He is beautiful and is always the first one to run up and hug me even though he’s extremely shy. The boy in the yellow hat is Joe. I have worked with him a lot as I am trying to figure out a way to help him through school, he’s number one in his class and is taking accounting. He will be looking to go to University next year in Uganda so that he can get a good job and help support his sister through school who had to drop out to work as a housekeeper to live. She is 16 and has only completed primary level 3. Joe’s parents were killed in the genocide. Most of the children’s parents have died of AIDS and almost all of the 76 boys over the age of 16 parents have been killed in the genocide. Even though these children have been through so much and don’t even own a change of clothes, they are so contagiously happy. I can’t begin to describe how elated I’ve been working in the orphanage. I feel so blessed to have been able to experience the love these children have and to learn from them every step of the way. I put off saying goodbye to them for one more day as tomorrow Rob will come with me to meet them in our last few hours before departure. I’m especially excited for him to meet Kalim. Today, Kalim gave me earrings to bring home to my sister and mother and wrote them a letter. He has made me 4 bracelets and 2 sets of earrings along with a card. He gives me all that he can even though his friendship is enough. I have also attached a picture of him and I during craft day.

I can’t wait to get home and tell everyone in person our experiences here in Rwanda. I am just as nervous as Rob is for Mount Kilimanjaro. On the other hand, I think that being able to reflect on this past month on the top of the highest mountain in Africa will be well worth it, After Kili we will be taking 4 days to relax on the beaches of Zanzibar before our trek home. We will not have much internet access until we arrive back in Canada but we will try to keep in touch. We love you guys so much and thank you for following us along our journey in Rwanda! xo


Internet connection isn't working well so the pictures will not upload.. will try again tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Really nice blog, nice Pictures and what an amazing experience ! Take care both of you ! Cheers. Fakhry.

    ReplyDelete